Mentors differ from coaches by being those who have been-there-done-that. Great coaches may also have business experience. In our case, it is expected that mentors have deep industry, entrepreneur, and/or investment experience. Ideally in a similar space as the entrepreneurs they are working with.
Mentors work with our entrepreneurs without expectation of reward or compensation. They share their knowledge, experience, and guidance freely.
Sometimes mentors may make introductions to others in their networks where needed. Any introduction of products or services that include fees must be discussed with the Managing Director. The mentoring is not to be used to influence entrepreneurs towards products and services.
Mentoring is a vital part of the success of entrepreneurs.
- Keep asking “why” to get to the real problem
- Exercise empathy, entrepreneurship is hard – remember?
- Be humble, add what you know to what they know. Learn from them, too
- Be honest. Others might not tell them the truth. Do so gently and with respect. Being clear is kind, and unclear is unkind
- Be responsive. They need you and sometimes it’s timely
- Treat their information as private. Respect their IP
- State what is fact and what is opinion
- Guide rather than control. If they don’t listen to you, it’s their company
- Mentor or do not, there is no try. Please don’t play half-hearted. We expect the same from them
- Expect nothing in return. You are not there to promote anything other than their success
- Spread the word. If you are enjoying mentoring, please tell others #fuse42mentoring
If these align perfectly with you, step forward.
Types of Mentorship:
We have mentors who can spend a fair bit of time with the entrepreneur team and those who can weigh in on specific areas.
- Sensei Mentors
- Ninja Mentors
Becoming an Official TERM Mentor
Regardless of your choice to mentor with us, you are welcome to access our mentoring framework for entrepreneurs. TERM.coach
The best way to get involved is by getting Certified. The option for Certification will be listed when you click Register below.
To find out what our ecosystem is like, come attend any of the events where entrepreneurs are gathered - like Demo Days. As well, we have speed pitching events where you will get to see a number of teams in their early stages and share your insights and observations. This will give you a good idea, like CDL, where you might want to apply your talents.
You may also choose to be a guest speaker. This is a paid gig and will be at the discretion of the Managing Director. Please add that to the application below.
As you start mentoring, your interaction with the entrepreneurs will be self-directed, along with the needs of the entrepreneurs you work with or directed through the Managing Director.
A Few Other Tips on Mentoring
Stay in touch! We only know as much as you tell us about your interest, your availability, and your ability. Keep the Managing Director in the loop.
Know your reasons for mentoring. Our Mentors are not compensated throughout the program and should expect nothing in return. The mentors we have worked with that have this mindset always end up getting the most out of the program.
Much of what you’re exposed to is highly confidential, sometimes this includes the entrepreneur’s participation in our programs. Please do not discuss the company outside the walls of your discussions without the entrepreneur’s express permission.
Mentors are a vital part of what makes entrepreneurship awesome. Thank you for your interest in giving your time and energy to these future leaders.
If you are ready to register for being a mentor...